Best Beef Recipes is an Amazon Associate. We receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Get ready to take a bite of the juiciest, most delicious grilled steak recipe! My Brazilian steakhouse favorite Top Sirloin Cap Recipe, also known as Coulotte Steak, is one of the most flavorful and tender cuts of beef you will ever try.
Best Coulotte Steak Recipe
There is nothing better than a grilled sirloin cap steak. No cut of beef is more tender and succulent than the sirloin cap. It’s a beautifully marbled beef cut that surrounds the ribeye steak.
Top Sirloin Steak or Picanha Steak recipes are a specialty of Brazilian churrascaria; that is, Brazilian steakhouses! Oftentimes, you will hear it referred to as the picanha grill or picanha BBQ.
What is picanha or coulotte seak?
Picanha (pronounced pi-can-ya) is a cut of beef also known as coulotte steak, top sirloin cap steak, rib cap, rump cover, rump cap, and culotte steak. Grilled Picanha Steak is a churrasco steak recipe, which is a Brazilian method of cooking meaning “barbecue”.
The marbling, or white specks of fat content throughout the beef, is what gives sirloin cap its incredible flavor!
Grilled Picanha Recipe Ingredients
- Sirloin Cap Steak/Picanha Cut Steak
- Santa Maria Seasoning (homemade or store bought)
Sirloin cap steak has a layer of fat that should not be removed or trimmed. This is what gives the steak so much flavor.
Santa Maria Steak Seasoning Ingredients
- sea salt
- black pepper
- chile powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- brown sugar
- dried oregano
How to Grill Picanha Steak
- Preheat your grill
- Score the fat cap of the sirloin cap in a crosshatch pattern. You do not want the cuts to go too far through the layer of fat.
- Rub Santa Maria seasoning all over the scored fat cap.
- Cut the Picanha steak into 1-inch strips. Fold each strip into a “C” shape, then slide onto metal skewers. Season with more of Santa Maria rub.
- Grill over indirect heat, turning every 5 minutes until your steak reaches your desired level of doneness. For medium-rare, you will want an internal temperature of 135°F, or 145 for medium.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
How to Cook Picanha Steak on the Stove
- Melt a pat of butter until it begins to smoke in a cast-iron skillet over high heat.
- Add picanha steak. Cook one at a time to avoid over-crowding the pan.
- Cook for 3 minutes on one side, then 2 on the other. This will give the steak a nice crust on the outside while keeping it from overcooking. This should cook the steak to medium-rare.
Tips for cooking on the stove:
– Follow the same steps as above to prepare the beef cut before cooking.
– Use wooden skewers instead of metal skewers, as you can trim them to fit your pan.
Always use a meat thermometer to make sure you achieve your degree of doneness. The last 15 minutes of grilling time are critical and you should always keep an eye on the cap steaks as you do not want to overcook.
One of my absolute favorite stovetop recipes is my dutch oven pot roast. The leftovers are even better than the first time around!
Where to Buy Picanha
Most U.S. butchers divide Picanha into other cuts of meat, so you most likely will not find it with the other cuts of beef on display. However, if you ask the butch at your local grocery store, they will be able to provide you with sirloin cap steak.
You are going to love this amazing beef cut. Rib cap picanha steaks are tender, juicy, and packed with so much flavor!
Best Sauce for Steak
The perfect sauce to pair with this steak is our amazing red wine sauce for steak. It is truly a match made in heaven!
Another favorite sauce to pair with the top sirloin cap is Chimichurri Sauce!
Steak Temperature Chart
Follow this chart and our Steak Temperature Chart to find your ideal degree of doneness!
Picanha Steak FAQs
The top layer of fat on picanha steaks ensures the most tender and juiciest steak.
Grilling picanha steak is the best way to cook this cut of steak.
Grilled Steak Recipes
When not grilling, I love using my air fryer. My Air Fried Steak is out of this world, and so is my Milanesa de Res! Another favorite always on rotation at our home is my beef chuck roast. It melts in your mouth and is so delicious!
What to Do with Leftover Steak
Try more of the best beef cuts according to your needs and budget by following my guide on the Best Cuts of Beef and our Popular Beef Dishes!
Try more of our most Popular Best Beef Recipes!
📌 Pin it for later!
Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Best Coulotte Steak
Grilled Picanha Steak is the juiciest, most delicious way to enjoy a Brazilian steakhouse classic at home! You will love this sirloin cap recipe!
- 3-4 pound Picanha cut sirloin cap
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- You can substitute store-bought Santa Maria seasoning for the homemade rub.
- To grill over indirect heat, turn one side of the burners off on your grill, or rearrange the hot coals to one side.
- You can also cook Picanha steak on the stove. Melt butter in a cast-iron pan over high heat on the stove until it begins smoking. Prepare picanha steak as above, then add to the grill one at a time, using wooden skewers so you can trim them if needed. Cook for 3 minutes on one side, then 2 on the other.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 68g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 178mg | Sodium: 170mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g