This Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe is a super simple weeknight dinner that’s filled with shredded chicken, sliced avocado and black beans!
This Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe is a dinner that my mother created when I was just a young kid. I’ve requested this delicious dinner many times over the years and now I get to share it with you!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe:
- Start by caramelizing some onions in a skillet. Once done, remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add in some chicken, enchilada sauce, black beans, pinto beans and some cilantro. Let simmer to bring flavors together.
- This dish is layered with torn up corn tortillas and the chicken filling, as well as some cheese.
- Top with sliced black olives and bake.
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
What I love most about this dish is that there is no rolling of tortillas needed, making it super quick and easy to pull everything together.
To make it easy to cut into, we tear the corn tortillas into bite-size pieces before making them into a layer. This is something my kids like to help with.
What To Serve with Chicken Enchilada Bake:
We love to top our enchiladas with all of our favorite taco toppings like sour cream, diced tomatoes and avocado. Here are some of my favorite side dishes that would pair perfectly to make it a complete meal.
Chicken Enchilada Tips and Variations:
- I recommend using my Homemade Enchilada Sauce, but you can use a store bought red or green sauce in it’s place.
- Try swapping out the chicken for 1 lb. of ground beef that’s been seasoned with Taco Seasoning.
- If you’re not a fan of avocado inside the enchilada bake, you can omit them.
- Feel free to swap in your favorite beans in place of black beans or pinto beans.
Make Ahead and Freeze Instructions:
This Chicken Enchilada Casserole makes for a great freezer meal. Simply assemble the casserole and before baking, cover tightly with foil and freeze. You can freeze it for up to 3 months.
You can bake from frozen, but you’ll want to leave it covered with foil until the center is heated through. Remove foil for the last 5 to 10 minutes to let the cheese get nice and melty.
This is a great meal for those busy weeknights. Super fast to pull everything together, and a fairly easy cleanup too. You’re going to love it!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Last updated on March 21, 2023 9:13 pm
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow I Wash You Dry here:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN
Rate this Recipe
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe is a super simple weeknight dinner that’s filled with shredded chicken, sliced avocado and black beans!
Calories: 2954 kcal
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce; divided
- 1 cup black beans; drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pinto beans; drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- sour cream
- diced tomatoes
- chopped cilantro
- diced green onions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add sliced onions. Let onions cook till they turn a golden brown color; stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet and set aside.
In the same skillet add the shredded chicken, 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce, black beans, pinto beans, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Let simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
In an 8″x8″ casserole dish tear up 3-4 of the corn tortillas into 1″ pieces, and layer them on the bottom of the dish. Spoon half of the chicken filling on top of the torn tortilla pieces.
Layer the caramelized onions on top of the chicken filling, then lay the avocado slices on top of the onions. Spoon the remaining chicken filling over the avocados.
Tear up the remaining 3-4 corn tortillas to make a top layer over the chicken filling. Drizzle the remaining 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce evenly over the top layer. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove foil and top with the shredded cheddar cheese, and black olives. Bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let sit for a few minutes before slicing.
Serve with sour cream and diced tomatoes. Enjoy!
Calories: 2954kcal | Carbohydrates: 250g | Protein: 135g | Fat: 167g | Saturated Fat: 64g | Cholesterol: 319mg | Sodium: 7383mg | Potassium: 4256mg | Fiber: 80g | Sugar: 45g | Vitamin A: 6740IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 2013mg | Iron: 17mg
Keywords: avocado, beans, Casserole, Chicken, enchilada
This post was originally published on 8/1/2012. Pictures updated on 5/23/2017.